Friday 31 August 2012

Book Rant



I read this today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19395813

Should books have age restrictions? 

No. Never.


When I was younger I could be found tucked away in a corner reading anything that I got my hands on. I remember reading The Cider House Rules (a novel about prostitutes, abortion, orphans, bestiality and love) when I was very young, although at the time I didn't fully understand the some of the content I recognized its importance as I grew older and I remembered it. Revisiting it now that I'm older allows me to interpret different sections of the novel in a more knowledgeably way, but at the same time I find it interesting remembering how I felt when I read parts when I was younger, aware of the pain, the happiness etc but not understanding. 

I realise that some parents may restrict what their child reads in order to avoid embarrassing conversions. I, myself didn't question much about sex, pubity etc but I knew I could if I had wanted to. My parents gave me the freedom to read as I please and I'm glad they did... even if they hadn't the 'forbidden fruit' would have found its way into my hands eventually. 


When I have children I will let them read what they want. If they have questions I will answer them. 

Those who want to read should be allowed to read whatever they choose to. It shows intelligence and an eagerness to gain knowledge. The subject matter isn't relevant. If they choose to read Fifty Shades of Grey let them. If they want to read Lady Chatterley's Lover- let them. 

To quote the article: "There's a difference to being presented with sexually explicit images and imagining what you're reading," says the children's literary critic Amanda Craig. "So in that sense it's more of an elite pursuit."


Also on a side note, I have read all the Fifty Shades, I don't like them but felt I needed to before I could comment on them... perhaps Clare Phillipson should have finished reading the book. 

She claims that it is a dangerous mix a 'young women and a much richer, abusive older man who beats her up and does some dreadful things to her sexually'.

It's called S and M, a LOT of people do it. It is for pleasure also everything in the book is consensual.What may seem 'dreadful' to you Ms Phillipson isn't to other people, take note before you burn all of someone's hard work.

It is not domestic violence. 
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-19354560



No comments:

Post a Comment